Ice and Snow Thickness RADAR System
Ground penetrating radar (GPR) systems have the ability to measure snow thickness or fresh water ice thickness. The GPR system used is a Noggin 1000 OEM from Sensors and Software Inc. The Noggin 1000 OEM is 30cm long by 15cm wide and 12cm high. The GPR system was mounted in a small pod and mounted to the skid gear of a BO-105 helicopter. The Noggin 1000 OEM is a very high resolution GPR system, with centre frequency of 1000 MHz and a waveform sampling interval of 0.1 nanoseconds.
- EM ice probe
- ice properties
- Video-Laser-GPS sensor system
- EM fixed-mount ice probe (Ice Pic)
- Observing Pack Ice Properties with Helicopter-borne Sensors (PDF)
- Lalumiere, L. 1998. "Implementation of a Prototype Real-Time Snow Thickness Radar"
- Lalumiere, L. 1998. "Real-time Snow Radar System Field and Data Report"
- Lalumiere, L. 1998. "Snow and Ice Thickness Radar System"
- Lalumiere, L. 1999. "Helicopter Hard-mounted GPR Snow and Ice Thickness Measurement Systems"
- Lalumiere, L. 1999. "Evaluations of GPR Systems for Helicopter Hard-mounted GPR Snow and Ice Thickness Measurement Systems"
- Lalumiere, L. 2000. "Helicopter Hard-mounted Tests of Commercially Available GPR Systems for Snow and Ice Thickness Measurement"
- Lalumiere, L. 2000. "Helicopter Hard-mounted Snow/Ice thickness System Field Trial Report"
- Lalumiere, L. 2006. "Ground Penetrating Radar for Helicopter Snow and Ice Surveys
- Lalumiere, L. and S. Prinsenberg. 2009. "Integration of a Helicopter-Based Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) with a Laser, Video and GPS System".
- Date modified: