Measuring Sea Ice Properties Using Satellite-Tracked Ice Beacons
Development and use of satellite-tracked instrumentation has been an integral part of the sea ice program at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography. Using satellite technology to monitor ice properties and its movement and to measure water properties under the ice and movement is an economic and safe alternative to helicopter and ship-based programs.
Beacons are deployed on the pack ice (or icebergs) and left to measure ice drift and other ice properites. At the moment satellite-tracked ice beacons used by BIO scientists measure ice pressure, ice temperature, ice location, and atmospheric data. Data are stored and then transmitted to System ARGOS satellites as they pass over the study region. The use of the Iridium data transmission system is slowly replacing teh use of System ARGOS. Five day ice beacon drift or iceberg drift maps are made available through an automatic website display system. GPS sensors are used to report each beacon's location. Data can be downloaded daily for analysis from anywhere which makes information available almost as soon as it is gathered.
- a poster
- slideshow of results (CASES, long with Beaufort Sea)
- slideshow of ice thickness results (CASES 2004, Beaufort)
- FTP ice drift display
- Peterson I., S. J. Prinsenberg, and G. A. Fowler. 1995. Newfoundland Shelf Sea Ice Program, 1993 and 1994
- Prinsenberg, S. J., G. A. Fowler, A. van der Baaren, and B. Beanlands. 1997. "Ice stress measurements from land-fast ice along Canada's Labrador Coast"
- Prinsenberg, S. J., A. van der Baaren, G. A. Fowler, and I. K. Peterson. 1997. "Pack Ice Stress and Convergence Measurements by Satellite-Tracked Ice Beacons"
- Prinsenberg, S. J., G. A. Fowler, and A. van der Baaren. 1998. "Pack Ice Convergence Measurements by GPS-ARGOS Ice Beacons"
- van der Baaren, A. and S. J. Prinsenberg. 2000. Labrador Shelf and Gulf of St. Lawrence Sea Ice Program, 1995-1998
- van der Baaren, A. and S. J. Prinsenberg. 2000. Satellite-tracked Ice Beacon Tests for Accuracy and Positioning, 1997-1998
- van der Baaren, A. and S. J. Prinsenberg. 2001. Satellite-tracked Ice Beacon Program, 1999-2001
- Prinsenberg, S. J. and I. K. Peterson. 2001. "Variations in Air-Ice Drag due to Ice Surface Roughness"
- Prinsenberg, S. J. and I. K. Peterson. 2002. "Variations in Air-Ice Drag due to Ice Surface Roughness"
- van der Baaren, A. and S. J. Prinsenberg. 2006. Wind Forcing of Ice Drift in the Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence: Satellite-tracked Ice Beacon Program 2004
- Date modified: