In accordance with the Public Health Agency of Canada and provincial public health guidelines on COVID-19 measures, we are closed for public tours until further notice.
By Appointment Only, May - August
The Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO) offers free informative and interactive guided tours to the public appealing to a diverse range of visitors. Guided tours of BIO can be tailored to meet particular interests, age groups, and sizes. Guests will be accompanied by bilingual Tour Guides around a series of wall panels describing research at BIO. The tour will rally in the main lobby for a walk-about on the campus and will be introduced to topics such as: species at risk (Inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic Salmon, Atlantic Whitefish, White Shark, Leatherback Turtles), bathymetric maps, Corals, Sharks, Geoscience, the Arctic, and the Titanic. The tour will finish with a visit to the Sea Pavilion touch tank which allows visitors to handle live lobsters, crabs, oysters, soft shelled clams, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and sea stars. The total time for the tour is about an hour and a half depending on questions and level of interest. The tour is wheelchair accessible, however to get to the touch tank requires a vehicle. Family and adult groups are set to a maximum of 20 people, and youth groups (e.g schools, summer camps) are set to a maximum of 60 people including chaperons.
A great activity for families and groups of all ages interested in learning more about the oceans!
May through August
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.
9:00 am to 6:00 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How to Book A Tour Online
- Select a date and see if you're preferred time is available.
- Tell us who's coming
- The name of the group
- The groups preferred language for the tour (We have tours in both of Canada's official languages)
- How many are expected
- Please note a group larger than 20 will require special accommodations. Use the "Contact Me" form below to have a guide contact you for special accommodations
- The approximate age of group the tour should be targeted for
- Also, optionally, any special needs and/or accommodations can be noted.
Book Your Tour
- Date modified: