Process & Documentation
The Transboundary Management Guidance Committee (TMGC) meets as required, considers the scientific advice contained in Transboundary Status Reports, incorporates information received from fishermen, reaches agreement by consensus and produces a common guidance document for the management of transboundary resources that is communicated to national fisheries management authorities.
The process developed by the TMGC through its consultations in 2002 for determining and implementing annual harvest levels and adopting management measures for transboundary resources of cod, haddock and yellowtail flounder on Georges Bank is outlined in the flowchart.
If the Council or GOMAC disagree with TMGC recommendations, they will be referred back to the TMGC for further refinement.
Canada-U.S. Transboundary Resources Management Committee Process
part 1 of 3:
- U.S. and Canada Develop annual TRAC Status Reports for the current year and a draft Terms of Reference (TOR) Document for the following year.
- NEFMC is briefed on TRAC status report
- Canadian TMGC receives Canadian public consultation on TRAC status report.
- considers the TRAC Status Reports and public consultations in creating annual TMGC Guidance Document.
- The draft TRAC TOR is considered for the following year
- The TMGC TOR is considered for the following year.
- U.S-Canada Steering Committee
- Review the TRAC Status Reports and TMGC Guidance Document.
- Opportunity to review and comment on draft TRAC and TMGC TOR.
part 2 of 3:
- Consider TRAC Status Reports and TMGC Guidance Document for yellowtail flounder only.
- Consider FMP control rules in providing management advice for yellowtail flounder
- Use TRAC Status Reports and TMGC Guidance Document in management advice.
- Opportunity to review and comment on draft TRAC & TMGC TOR.
- DFO Staff
- Opportunity for DFO to review and comment on draft TRAC & TMGC TOR.
- DFO Minister
- Approves management recommendations
- Considers TRAC Status Reports for cod, haddock and yellowtail flounder
- Consider TMGC Guidance Document for all three stock
- Consider FMP requirements
- Consider SCC management advice recommending catch limits
- Opportunity to review and comment on draft TRAC and TMGC TOR
part 3 of 3:
- Both Canada & U.S.
- TRAC and/or TMGC members reconcile any differences on TRAC or TMGC TORs.
- Canada-U.S. Transboundary Steering Committee Co-Chairs approve final TRAC and TRMG TORs.
- NMFS implements the annual catch limits through U.S. rulemaking process.
- DFO Implements Plan with final Total Allowable Catches (TACS)
- Both Canada & U.S.
The Transboundary Management Guidance Committee (TMGC) publishes a Guidance Document that contains a summary of the basis of the TMGC's guidance to both countries.
For more recent TMGC guidance documents, please refer to the following U.S. website: https://www.nefmc.org/committees/transboundary-management-guidance-committee-tmgc
- TMGC Guidance Document 2003/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2004/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2005/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2006/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2006/01 Addendum
- TMGC Guidance Document 2007/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2008/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2009/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2010/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2010/01 Addendum
- TMGC Guidance Document 2011/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2011/01 Addendum
- TMGC Guidance Document 2012/01
- TMGC Guidance Document 2013/01
- Date modified: